Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Living With No Imperfection

In a person's lifetime perfection is something that is often pursued for.  Think about this: can a person really ever be perfect?  No one is God besides God and Jesus so is perfection something that society should expect us to be.  If every person is striving to be perfect they will never reach that goal and will constantly be thinking about what they could have done differently to be perfect. 

Of course there are always those who we look up to who hold high expectations for themselves.  Benjamin Franklin is a good example of one of those people.  In his autobiography he reflects of the prospect of "...arriving at moral perfection.  [He] wish'd to live without committing any fault at any time [he] would concur all that either natural inclination, custom, or company might lead me into. ... [he] had undertaken a task or more difficulty that [he] had imagined" (Franklin).

Although I do not know exactly what Franklin went through during his time, I embarked upon a similar journey in my English class when we made a virtue chart very similar to his.  I found it difficult to keep up with all of my virtues and berated myself every time I made a mistake.   Living with all of these negative thoughts of how you can improve yourself is never the way to go. 

Do Not Dwell On The Past Or Future, Instead Live Each Day Like It Is Your Last And Never Regret What Is Said Or Unsaid

No comments:

Post a Comment